Dick

Default Any tax advantages to living aboard in California?

If your really serious about finding some taxes to save on while living
on
your boat, you might try challenging the State of Calif. (and county) on
the
personal property tax they charge on all boats.

Even if they come after your boat for real estate tax, the taxes would be
much less than what they charge for personal property tax.

When we lived in California I think the two taxes were the same 1%. So I don't
know if it will help. The boat tax is local. If you go to the local tax office
and tell them you are going cruising and then go you will not have to pay the
tax. Just keep your boat moving after that. They check marinas about every six
months so you could not stay long and you would have to move out of the area on
a regular interval. If you are working that could be a problem unless you have
a seasonal job. But maybe you should adapt to a new lifestyle.

Dick