Mark Browne

Default Oil change: How often?

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On 14 Sep 2003 07:40:15 -0700,
(Richard Malcolm) wrote:
How often do people change their oil. I have an 1993 OMC (ford) King
Cobra I/O. I have been changing the oil about every 100 hours. Just
read somewhere that 300 hours is OK? What weight would you use up in
New England for this time of the year. I generally will pull my boat
out for the season in late December.

300 hours is like 20,000 miles on your car. I change mine every 50 to
100 hours, once a year minimum.

I would lean towards 50 hours for a Diesel unless that is continuous
running. The combustion byproducts that end up the oil are both corrosive
and abrasive. In any case, no less than every three months of use.

Mark Browne