nom=de=plume[_2_] nom=de=plume[_2_] is offline

Default Throw his ass in jail!!!

wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 19:18:35 -0700, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:55:51 -0700, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

No the original subject was just whether these people had the ability
to alter things.

The original subject included a false comparison between people altering
their phone vs. modifying guns by common criminals, most of whom are not
too
bright.

It doesn't take that much intelligence to work on guns, just some
basic mechanical skill. All of that "smart gun" stuff is just added to
a regular gun action and it is not that hard to take it away. In the
end it will always just be pulling in a coil after it does all of
it;'s electronic magic. You just need to find another way to move that
armature or operate that sear and rip all of those electronics out.

Again I will point out, the technology was invented for people who
lose a gun in a fight and don't want to be shot with it right then.
This was coopted by people who did not understand the technology or
the intent.

I'm sure we'll see those brilliant, average criminals hunkering down in
their fully equipped workshop churning them out by the 1000s.

I doubt there will be thousands of smart guns sold the be disabled.
Who would actually pay an extra couple hundred dollars for a gun that
might not work when they need them? Police departments, the target
market, has no interest unless the gun fails"on" so all the crook has
to do is take the battery out and the gun goes hot.
The cop on the beat still has no real interest in the technology, it
is just the political bosses.

I believe pretty much the same thing was said of things like computers and
cell phones.

I can't speak for every cop on the beat, but I'm betting most would be
interested in a weapon that can only be fired by the owner.