I am Tosk I am Tosk is offline

Default Throw his ass in jail!!!

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 04:35:40 -0700 (PDT), "JustWaitAFrekinMinute!"
wrote:

On Sep 19, 1:38*am, wrote:
On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 22:12:46 -0700, "nom=de=plume"

wrote:
So, you don't think we should ban some really nasty pesticides?

We have. The unintended consequence is the mosquito became the most
dangerous animal in the 3d world.

Come on.
http://www.ejnet.org/dioxin/

DDT was not really dangerous to people. That was it's selling point.
The reason it was banned was the effect on birds.
(Read Rachel Carson's book)
Like a lot of things the knee jerk was out of proportion to the
problem. Because we thought DDT was safe we were pumping tons of it
into the environment without any thoughts about the effect and any
control on it's use. There are lots of people who think that if we
would use it with the same controls we use with other poisons these
days it would be safer than what we use. Your link to dioixin is a
good example.
Some say there are no safe insecticides. After all it is poison.
If you are talking about some third world countries we are talking
about millions of people dying from diseases spread by insects that
could be controlled more safely with DDT in very small doses.
This is not me talking, it is respected world health authorities.

Howabout Chloradane (sp?). That stuff really doesn't hurt the
environment, it was basically banned because workers were using it
wrong and killing themselves in the fields. They would spray and rub
the trees and next thing you know, they find them dead in the field.
At least that is what I was told by a bug guy. I had a gallon of it
years ago, it was incredible. A quater cup or so in a gallon of water
and it even took out ground bees, all of em, dead or gone...

The thing they didn't like about Chloradane was it was not
biodegradable. It lasts for decades. If people are just spraying it
willy nilly into the environment that is a bad thing. It gets into the
ground water and contaminates rivers. If it is properly used in a
place where it is sequestered like under a poured concrete slab
(termites) it is of no particular danger.

I still have about a half gallon and that is a lifetime supply. I did
shoot some under the slab on my addition.
The right mix would have been more like a couple tablespoons in a
gallon of water but read the label. It came in several concentrations
but that was overkill for bees.

Quite honestly I don't remember the mixture on the bottle but now that
you mention it, the tablespoons seems more likely... Either way, I
didn't ever find a need to use it "heavy".. The stuff worked well. I
used the last of it when we moved to the old haunt down on the
shoreline...

--
OH, I could do the 105 footer, but I would hate to waste the last few
seconds of my life with my eyes closed, screaming like a little