cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default Ping Larry

wrote:
On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 17:30:55 -0500, CaveLamb
wrote:

Gordon wrote:
Any advice on a boat computer? I think you bought a notebook a while
back. Good , bad, ugly?
Thanks

We'll have to wait to see what Lary says.

I've been leaning toward a mini-ITX fanless system - with a fan in the case
and a 12 volt power supply.

Heat is nearly as bad for electronics as water.
So we are running in a hostile environment.

The other issue is mounting. An ITX case is small and can be tucked in
almost any corner. The display can be wall mounted.
No need to take up precious horizontal filing space.

The screen is still a problem for me.
I've yet to find one at a reasonable price that runs on 12 volts.

All your boat computer problems can be solved with an old Panasonic
Toughbook. You can find a CF-28 or CF29 very cheaply on Ebay. They
were designed to be used by contractors on building sites in the rain
and mud, and they are also popular with Law Enforcement. You can spill
as many cups of coffee as you wish on the screen and keyboard without
worry. The screen is readable in sunlight, and they are drop tested 6
feet onto concrete.

The models I mentioned are very common, and will run Windows XP or 98

My friend has a couple of them.
Our common opinion is that they are simply too slow for the heavy graphics
load for charts.

But they are, indeed, Tough!

--

Richard Lamb