L. M. Rappaport

Default News of sailing tragedy off San Francisco? (tethers and attachment methods)

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:19:27 -0600, "Wendy"
wrote (with possible editing):

Same thing with the aforementioned snap-carabiners. I'm a (not very
accomplished) rock climber of sorts, and a snap gate crab is NEVER used as a
primary means of hooking into a line, and the use of a locking (screw gate)
crab is frowned on as well- knots are the only safe way, in rock climbing.
Of course, it's a bit of a different situation; if the rock sinks you've had
it anyway

No flame intended, Wendy, but in years of rock climbing and tower
work, I have never had a locking carabiner open by mistake. Snap gate
biners are also commonly used, but in pairs with the gates on opposite
sides.
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com