Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Cal 30 wheel steering

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:24:13 -0600, Jim Cate wrote:

I am considering a 1982 Cal 30 for bay and coastal cruising near the
Houston - Galveston area. The plan would be to leave the boat with one
of the local charter sail organizations that would provide docking and
light maintenance of the boat. They indicated that they would
anticipate good rentals for such a boat, assuming that it is surveyed
and shown to be in good condition, but they would not accept it unless
the existing tiller steering mechanism can be converted to wheel
steering. - They tell me that there are shops in the area who can do
such work for around $1,000 to $1,500.

Does anyone have any experience or information concerning such a
conversion? Someone suggested that Cal, or another marine equipment
source, may be able to provide a kit of necessary components for
installing the wheel. I would also be interested in any comments from
those with experience re the Cal 30. I have sailed a somewhat larger Cal
(33?) and was impressed with it as a stable though perhaps not very
speedy boat, suitable for "near-shore" blue water sailing.

A friend of mine converted a Cal 2-30 (an earlier boat) when he sold
it. Nobody considered it an improvement. I would want a lot more
specifics about the financial benefits from the sailing club before I
would do such a thing.

A tiller pilot big enough for that boat is a lot cheaper. Our boat
came with wheel steering only, and it is not bad, but it cost a lot
more than $1500.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Accordions don't play 'Lady of Spain.' People play 'Lady of Spain."