posted to rec.boats.building

Default Drilling a hole parrallel to another hole

wrote in message
Well, since things are slow here, but my "to do" boat project list
keeps growing, seems like a good time to ask a seemingly dumb
question.
The boat is a fiberglass Rhodes Mariner sailboat, about 1600 lbs. The
original bow eye is a one bolt arrangement, about 3"-4" long, and has
become wiggly. The back up material is wood and seems solid. . I'd
like to replace the original one bolt bow eye with a U bolt type.
So I have one hole already drilled. And I need a second hole that
parallels the first one exactly. Seems simple enough, but I'm thinkin'
that drilling into a surface that's curved in every direction and
keeping the new hole lined up with the original hole for the entire 3"
depth..... well..... it looks easier said than done.
Does anyone here have a handy dandy trick or tip on how to do this
right with hand tools?
Rick

Punch a block of wood on a drill press with your two holes. Glue a dowel in
one hole. Put the dowel in the one hole you have in the boat, and use the
other hole as a drill guide. Make sure you use lots of 3M 5200 (or similar
product) to seal it all up and protect your wood when you put in the new bow
eye.