posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bruce in Bangkok[_16_] Bruce in Bangkok[_16_] is offline

Default Newbe needs info...

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 00:24:01 -0500, IGot2P wrote:

My first post to this newsgroup and it is because I recently purchased a
18' Ranger that has a Lowrance LMS-350A fish finder on it that does not
work.

The seller told me that it did not work thus it was not a surprise to
me. I have not had the boat in water but the screen is just random
lines, dots, etc. As the transducer is already installed I would like to
purchase another unit of the same make and model so I can just plug in
the my current transducer and go.

I also want GPS but I am not familiar with what info a marine GPS
provides especially on older units like the above mentioned one. I have
noticed that they must be still quite popular as they bring a pretty
penny on e-bay. If I purchase the one at http://tinyurl.com/2fs46pu on
e-bay what can I expect to see as far as GPS goes? If I am on a river
will it show towns along the way and nearby roads like the GPS units in
our vehicles do?

Another alternative would be to simply purchase a new Humminbird 161 GPS
Fishfinder from Amazon for approximately $190. This brings me to another
question. Why are individuals paying more for old used LMS-350A's than
they can purchase a new unit like the 161 for?

If you would educate me it would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Don

First question - how do you know that the transducer works?

A marine GPS, more correctly a chart plotter, will show some shore
detail but normally only that shown on the usual marine charts. Going
up some small podunk river will probably have no information; going up
the Themes will have considerable detail well past London; details and
soundings are shown on the Chao Paya to the N. edge of Bangkok.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)