Lloyd Sumpter

Default Cal 30 wheel steering

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:24:13 +0000, Jim Cate wrote:

I am considering a 1982 Cal 30 for bay and coastal cruising near the Houston -
Galveston area. The plan would be to leave the boat with one of the local
charter sail organizations that would provide docking and light maintenance of
the boat. They indicated that they would anticipate good rentals for such a
boat, assuming that it is surveyed and shown to be in good condition, but they
would not accept it unless the existing tiller steering mechanism can be
converted to wheel steering. - They tell me that there are shops in the area who
can do such work for around $1,000 to $1,500.

Does anyone have any experience or information concerning such a conversion?

I replaced the steering in Far Cove (Catalina 36) and it cost me about that,
but I didn't replace the wheel, pedestal, rudder "wheel", etc. I'm guessing to
do it Right will cost substantially more than that. Try contacting Edson:
http://www.edsonmarine.com/sailboat/index.html

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36