Jim Jim is offline

Default the rich get richer and the middle class poorer

wrote:

A UAW worker in Detroit or Indiana was making twice what a red state
worker makes. That was Harry's point.

Actually, the wages were real close last I looked, which has been a
while.
A couple bucks an hour at most.
Averages were $19 and $17 when I looked. Maybe 10-15 years ago.

The benefits were the big difference, especially pension.
The UAW has been trying to organize U.S. Toyota plants for years, so
Toyota keeps wages real close. Same with Honda.
A quick look on the net seems to confirm that, but I don't feel like
digging.

Without the UAW around the non-union Toyota workers would see a steep
decline in wages.
Whether they vote aye or nay to unionize, the last thing Toyota/Honda
workers want is for the UAW to go away.
Some know that, others think Toyota and Honda are just "nice guys"
who would continue to pay them the same good bucks even if the UAW
wasn't on their heels.
Takes all kinds.

Jim - If Harry said UAW wages are double, he don't know squat.