Paul

Default News of sailing tragedy off San Francisco? (tethers and attachment methods)

"Jack Dale" wrote in message
[ about tethers and quick-release ]
Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of the efficacy of
the snap shackles? Can they be released under load?

From my own experience I will only use Gibb or Wichard clips for
attaching to u bolts or jacklines. I had a tether come off while I
was on a foredeck at night. It managed to attach itself to the jib
sheet.

Whenever VALIS sails beyond the Golden Gate Bridge, everyone puts on a
tether (and sometimes in the bay, if conditions warrant). The ones I have
on board use a "Wichard Safety Hook" at the boat end, and a quick-release
snap shackle at the harness end. The quick-release shackle has a nice
lanyard on the release pin and it works smoothly. I have never had one of
these (or the Wichard hooks) open accidentally. I used to have some tethers
with a caribeener-style snap hook for the boat end, and it was scary how
easily these would accidentally release when hooked onto a pad-eye.

-Paul
s/v VALIS