Keelworm

Default Licence to hire speedboat in Greece/Spain

Steve wrote:
It looks like I'll be looking for and hopefully attending a reasonably
priced course, rather than trying to blag a 40hp again or putting up
with a 25hp.

Steve. Might I suggest that you consider a Dayskipper Power Shorebased
course, plus the practical. With it you will automatically get an ICC, but
it goes into great depth (pardon the punn) on passage planning, weather
conditions, Safety of Life at Sea, and emergency actions.

If you look around (I've found local colleges a good cheap source) you can
get a Dayskipper Classroom for around £100, The practical is generally
morem but gets you 5 days (2 weekends) away on the water, so it's really a
jollyday with a certificate.

This route requires more outlay (both financially and in terms of
commitment) from the student, however I liken it to doing a motorcycle CBT
compared to a Full License. I wouldn't have dreamt of jumping on my
1200cc bike having gained my riding experience on a 125 scooter, by the
same token, I wasn't prepared to take out a 36' Benneteau, with only 12
months inshore Wayfarer sailing. (Though a 'wayfarer' adventure is still an
adventure!!!)

Personally, having done the dayskip, and compared it to the 'silly bus' of
the powerboat ICC (I see it weekly at my local dinghy club), I can honestly
say I would actively support a raising of the required standard to this.
(probably make a lot of enemies in the proccess though!)

I'm not one to patronise, (believe me, I like to cut corners.) but I feel a
lot more equipped to deal with situations that may arrise, and a lot more
cautious and aware of the possible hazards, both in weather and surface
conditions and technically in a boat.

Even if you just want to do the ICC practical, a shorebased dayskipper would
in my opinion, still be highly recommended!

Probably not what you wanted to here, but only an opinion!

--
The keelworm sticketh, the sander scrapeth away!
www.love2sail.co.uk - uk coastal sailing forums