Matt Colie

Default News of sailing tragedy off San Francisco?

I am not saying that the young man involved might have done better, but
I think the group should know what the situation is really like.

I am never without a knife (except on an airplane recently), and have
had one all my life. It is an essential working tool for a waterman.

But, did you ever try to get your knife free to do something after you
were in the water? It sure did not go the way I had thought it might.
If you have grabbed up your oilskins (foulies for some) and left the
knife inside, kiss off getting it free after you hit the water. Even
still, be it a folding knife in a pocket (requires two free hands) or a
sheathknife at your hip, getting it out to do what you need after you
are in the water is not something done without practice. If the blade
is not at a lanyard, it will probably be lost.

Please think about it.

Matt Colie A.Sloop "Bonne Ide'e"
Lifelong Waterman, Licnesed Mariner and Congenital Sailor

Steve wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

A sailor should always have his 'rigging knife' handy and attached to him

by

a lanyard.
You never know when you have to cut something loose.
That's a real tragady.

I agree regarding the knife. A good crewman should never report on board
without a good sharp knife. And a good skipper should provide a knife to any
crew member who doesn't have one.. ( keep several of the SS rigger knives I
get at WM on sale for about $8-9 )

Steve
s/v Good Intentions