BrianH

Default Licence to hire speedboat in Greece/Spain

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
BrianH wrote:

And I repeat, contrary to your claim, it often does "appear without
warning," Last summer was so stable that in three months of cruising I

did
not experience this formidable wind at all, the first time for many

years.

I've experienced the Bora in Ancona and around Giulianova. It doesn't
arive in Italy without warning. Whether it's sufficient warning to get
to a safe haven is another question.

We are not discussing the bora in Italy; let me remind you of your words, "
there are even scary freaky winds in the parts of the Adriatic that I live
by. However they do not appear without warning, ever." So I'm pleased to see
you are admitting your error - that winds in some areas can appear without
warning. The bora originates in the eastern Adriatic hinterland and can
appear in the inshore eastern Adriatic "in hurricane force" without any
warning whatsoever, if they are of the locally generated sort, and the
summer ones usually are. They also are not extensive, so what you have
experienced in Italy are not typical of what are invoked off the Croatian
coast. What you are referring to as "bora" is almost certainly only a strong
NE wind and, being onshore across a sea, usually predictable.

Whilst the original poster made some silly comments, which, to his credit he
seems to be reconsidering, I see no need to call him a liar and use
inaccurate statements to justify it.

BrianH.