JimB

Default Licence to hire speedboat in Greece/Spain

Steve wrote in message

No, it's a bit like the equal disdain I have for the current
extortion applied to passing the UK driving test. Most

youngsters
[read: parents] these days are paying the best part of £1,000
which is *ridiculous* and yet *another* nu-labor (sic) method

of
collecting revenue / discouraging motorists while ignoring the
*real* issues behind our overcrowded roads.

/rant

Yes, that's a rant. You don't have to pay for a driving course to
take the test. But doing so considerably increases the
probability of passing the test. Same with power boat
certificates.

who's the best judge of where limits (speed -
or power in this case, it's surrogate) should be applied?
Visitors? who seek pleasure - or local residents? who suffer

the
consequences (of accidents).

A system which promotes driver responsibility rather than
drone-style rule compliance.. Since when could a bloody sheep
drive sensibly?

Now that's not a logical answer to the question, it's a bit like
another rant . . .

I've seen enough speed related water deaths in Nidri (Greece,
Levkas - 3 to 5 a year for each of ten years) to be convinced
that something needs to be done.
Do you know
how to treat a windsurfer who is overtaking your powerboat?

Nope, but at a guess I'd throttle off slightly, move away

slowly
where possible and make damn sure I did not take the wind from
his* sail as I imagine the latter would upset him* a tad..

No. Maintain course and speed so he can plan how best to avoid
you. As overtaking vessel the windsurfer has to keep clear of
you. Changes to your velocity could negate his plan, thus causing
a collision.

Do
you know enough to predict the reactions of a boat which

you're
approaching which is going to alter course to avoid a

potential
collision with a third party?

I have very good 'natural' spacial awareness and hand-to-eye
coordination, so I think I'd probably do ok. And I'd try to do

so
with full consideration for not putting others' more at risk.
First rule is "don't panic".

Not good enough. That approach didn't work in the past, so rules
were invented.
The paradox was that the majority of drivers thought they had
above average ability. The reality was that most were average -
by definition.

Make my question more simple. You're converging with a similar
power boat coming from your left.
a. How do you know whether (if nothing's done) you're on a
collision course?
b. If you're on a collision course, what would you do?

Answers in three seconds please . . .

JimB