Dan J.S.

Default On-Topic: rec.boats FAQ

"noah" wrote in message
I have been in contact with the "keeper" of the rec.boats FAQ.

It seems that he left the group a while ago for two reasons:
1.) He was tired of all the Off Topic posting
2.) He realised he was spending too much time on rec.boats, and not
enough time boating.

The FAQ is a wealth of boating (primarily sailing) knowledge. It is
obvious that the founders of this group loved boating. They put in
the time and effort.

PROPOSAL:

1.) That we, as a group, decide to return rec.boats to a "boating"
newsgroup.
2.) That we, as a group, acknowledge the importance of "chit-chat",
political argument, and general nonsense by supporting the creation of
rec.boats.lounge, or some similarly named group, where the
conversation is unlimited.

Personally, I have benefitted from other's boating knowledge in this
group.

I also admit (mea culpa) to participating in some OT threads. Ideas
and personalities are interesting, sometimes provocative, and
sometimes infuriating. It is also true that we have lost regs and
newbies because of the OT posts.

Can we take that portion of the experience next door?

I am willing to do the process (3 to 6 months) to create a discussion
group for rec.boats. Is there any support for this effort?

My personal opinion is that there is a tremendous wealth of boating
information and experience here. Far more than any individual could
hope to experience. This treasure is also often buried under tons of
political opinion. I think that this is a mistake.

This issue has been raised before. It has either never received
adequate support to move it forward, or the people involved have not
been able or willing to do it.

I am not suggesting "moderation" of rec.boats, simply an updated FAQ
and a seperate discussion group for OT stuff.

Response from posters and lurkers is appreciated. It's not worth the
effort if nobody cares.

Regards,
noah

Go fer it!!!