Bill Cole

Default Politics aside: 9-11-01; Let us never forget

I always thought that was were the Mike came from, but I was just coping the
definition from the dictionary. I had never heard anyone call a Catholic a
Mike, but maybe in Harry's neighborhood they didn't have any Irish to make
fun of. ; )

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Bill Cole" wrote in message
mick ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mk)
n. Offensive Slang
Used as a disparaging term for a person of Irish birth or

descent.

[Probably from the name Mick, nickname for Michael.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language,
Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
[Buy it]

mick

n : ethnic slur; a person of Irish descent [syn: Paddy, Mick, Mickey]

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

mick

MICK: in Acronym Finder

Source: Acronym Finder, © 1988-2003 Mountain Data Systems

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Don White wrote:
First 'Irish' and now a 'Mick'?
Tell me you aren't one of those 'Fenian' characters :-)

noah wrote in message
..btw..don't call me a "gringo" if you expect a serious reply.
I'm a "mick", get that? A "MICK"!!

Have a nice evening,
noah

Properly, a "mick" is a Roman Catholic. It is a derogatory term
Protestants used to describe those who belonged to the mother church,
and not necessarily Irish Roman Catholics.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Probably more from the Mc????? of our names. The Scots were Mac, and a

big
% of the Irish were / are Mc?????.
Bill