Ric

Default Licence to hire speedboat in Greece/Spain

"Steve" wrote in message

There is nothing I have posted here to indicate anything of the
sort.

Oh no, it is not irresponsible to post "If not, does anyone know where I
might obtain a template or
scan of an actual licence that I could use to overlay my own
details and print off. I'm sure these Greeks won't check too
closely so that would solve my problem".

Would you do the same for a car-driving licence?

What total rubbish, there is clearly no comparison. Also, FYI I
have some experience of boats already and I am sure I am quite
capable of driving a 50hp glorified dingy around a bay, while
following the map they provide and keeping within the correct
channels marked by buoys etc., without paying 500 quid to some
extortionist to prove it.

If you are as capable as you claim then you will have no difficulty passing
the test. You wouldn't have to go on a course at all.

And again, it's good enough for the UK so why should the Med be
any different?

Part of the reason is that in the Med there are a lot more users of
watercraft in coastal waters, and especially swimmers. Last year, just
locally to me in France, two swimmers and a spearfisherman were mown down by
motorboats ignorant of the rules. The year before, a sailing boat was cut in
two, and both the occupants killed, by a motorboat. There are accidents
every year casued by jetskiers. On every occasion, the inquest has
determined that the accident was caused by irresponsible people who were
unlicenced and untrained. Moreover, in one of the jetski accidents, they
found that the holidaymaker had a forged certificate. He was imprisoned, but
also the boss of the comany who hired him the jetski was give a two year
suspended jail sentence and a huge fine, because he had not checked
carefully enough the documentation. The same litany of accidents happens all
over the Med every summer.

The problem is, particularly acute with British holidaymakers who seem to
think that they don't need licences or training to drive a motorboat.

just about anything up to 200 feet long, powered by motor *or*
wind and he has no licence. So, despite his many years experience
he still would be unsuitable to hire a 50hp powered rowing boat?

No, if he has the experience that you claim for him, then probably he would
be safe. But you clearly do not have the experience - it is completely
evident by your comments and assumptions here.