John H[_2_] John H[_2_] is offline

Default Roast Chicken

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 09:58:19 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 19:58:16 -0400, John H
wrote:

I had a hankerin' for some today. I'm not too wild about the way I
normally
roast a chicken, so decided to look around for something new.

I like them on a spit on the gas grille (with a back burner)

Have you guys tried "beer can chicken"? Great stuff!

Also a good way to do chicken, but - no drippings for gravy. Great with potatoe
salad though.

Here, for your eating pleasure, is a recipe for a spectacular potatoe salad.
Just remember to double the bacon, eggs, and anything else you like.

Baked Potato Salad

4 -5 pounds Baking Potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/2 to 3/4" chunks
1/4 cup Olive or vegetable oil
2 Envelopes Italian salad dressing mix
1 medium Green pepper - chopped
1 medium Sweet red pepper - chopped
1 bunch Green onions -- chopped
2 large Tomatoes - chopped and drained (I use Romano, and take
out the insides. Or, no tomatoes at all. They add a lot of moisture.)
4 Hard boiled eggs - chopped
6 slices Crisp Bacon - crumbled
¾ cup Mayo
¾ cup Sour Cream
1 tablespoon Vinegar
1 tablespoon Lemon juice
2 teaspoons Dried basil
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Pepper
½ teaspoon Garlic powder

In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with oil and dressing mixes. Place the
potatoes in a greased pan large enough to hold them. Bake at 400 degrees for
about 45 minutes or until tender. Put in refrigerator to cool.

Mix the last eight ingredients in a large measuring cup or small bowl.

When the potatoes have cooled, transfer them to a large pot. Add the peppers,
onions, tomatoes, eggs and bacon, and the mixture from the small bowl. Mix well,
but gently.

Transfer to serving dish, cover with saran wrap, and refrigerate for a couple
hours

--

John H