posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bert van den Berg Bert van den Berg is offline

Default Gas Tank Sender Question

Hi Frank,

American fuel senders usually have a high resistance when the tank is empty
and a low resistance when the tank is full. A short on the sender wiring
would make that type of gauge show maximum.

I suggest that you disconnect the sender wire at the sender and see if the
gauge still shows full. If so, disconnect the sender wire right at the
gauge and see if the gauge still shows full. If the gauge still shows full
with the sender wire disconnected from the gauge then the gauge is stuffed.

--

Best Regards,

Bert van den Berg
CruzPro Ltd.
www.cruzpro.com
13 Burgundy Park Avenue
Henderson 0612
New Zealand

"frank1492" wrote in message
Not really "electronic" but...
I was going along and suddenly my gas gauge flipped to the max.
The sender is resistive type with "wiper." I disassembled it and found
nothing wrong. Checked the ground connection to the tank, as well as
the wiper connection. All appeared to be in order.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Frank