BAR[_2_] BAR[_2_] is offline

Default Govt. Motors Chief drives Volt 10 feet. Amazed onlookers cheer.

In article , says...

BAR wrote:
In article ,
says...
On 1-Aug-2010, Canuck57 wrote:

And more than 1/2 the value of the parts are made offshore, LMAO.
DAMN! Just like toyota's, honda's, nissan's.....what a fraud.

What is the live expectancy of the Volt's batteries?

10 years, but that's GM talking.

Marketing, pure marketing.

According to my
battery expert it is about 400 cycles from charged to drained and then
the LIon batteries will be useless and in need of replacement.

Your battery expert. Right.

Yes, my battery expert. I've been married to her for 18 years and she
has been working in the field of batteries for 25 years. NiCd, NiMh,
LIon and some other stuff that hasn't hit the market yet. She is waiting
to get a cell from the Hubble's recently replaced battery pack. It will
be the first time that batteries have been returned to Earth from long
term space flight. She wants to compare the cells that were in flight
with the cells that they have been running in life test since the Hubble
ascended to orbit.

GM is giving an 8 year, 100,000 warranty on the battery, whichever first.
If the car is used for 40 mile daily trips that's 2500 discharge cycles
to get to 100,000 miles and less than 7 years.
Either your "battery expert" is way off or GM is screwed.

I asked my battery expert that same question. She said that LIon
batteries, which they are using in the Volt, can now only handle 400
full discharge cycles, from full charge to full discharge. Partial
discharges don't count.

Place your bet.

I'll stick with my battery expert.

I have a $12,500 car that gets 37 MPG and doesn't require any special
charging station and when the fuel tanks runs low I can stop in any gas
station to refuel.

What is
the value of a Volt with a non-functioning battery pack? How much would
you pay for a used Prius with a non-functioning battery pack?

Oh, and what is it going to cost you to recycle your Volt battery pack?
You can't just pull it out and leave it in the garage or the backyard.

What does it cost you to recycle your car battery now when you buy a new
one? And your refrigerator?

My car battery is $10. I have had to replace 2 recently. One on a 13
year old mini-van and the other on a 9 year old truck.

Our old fridge was haulled away for $50. I could have taken it to the
county recycling locaiton for free. But, when there are two guys who are
going to take it out of your house, load it on a truck and it is gone
you can't beat the price.

Almost everything gets recycled at a profit.

True, but the value of a non-working fridge is $5.

That's why guys and gals are driving around in beat-up pickups looking
for free recyclable crap.

As long as they don't try and steal my aluminium gutters off of my house
I am happy.

Where the hell have you been?

In the better part of town.