posted to rec.boats.building
Bruce in Bangkok[_16_] Bruce in Bangkok[_16_] is offline

Default the pancake skiff - episode 1

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 10:36:09 -0400, I am Tosk
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 20:59:13 -0500, DougC
wrote:

On 7/30/2010 7:33 PM, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:50:17 -0500,
wrote:

I have made a Freeship model of the hull I am interested in.

page with file link-
http://www.norcom2000.com/users/dcim...oat_makin.html

-or Tiny-
http://tinyurl.com/2g8h8f8

This is not the 100% final version, just a close approximation. The idea
is basically a extra-wide rowboat hull with a very flat bottom. There
will be a flat sealed floor set 6" above the hull bottom on frames
spaced every foot.

This is a inland/fla****er boat only.

Your URL links to a site that provides a ZIP file which expands to be
a FBM file. My system doesn't read fbm files.

Sure it does. Just go download and install Freeship, and you'll be all
set. (at times it is spelled FREE!ship)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeship/

Freeship is rather dated but downloading it does not require
registration, as the Delft program seems to.

Why do you believe that I would want to download and install yet
another program only to advise you on your projected design.

I would get it rated for a small motor, 5 HP I think. Not very fast, but
as light & broad as the hull is, it's just not going to be safe going
fast anyway. Other 14" boats seem to be running 20-30 HP regularly. 10
MPH is okay for this, I just need a motor that's "faster than rowing"
while being and "less effort than rowing".

Why do you want to "get it rated" for a motor? Are you going to
manufacture it commercially?

I thought that (assuming US laws of course) any given powerboat had a
rated horsepower limit. Stated on the HIN plate.

Do home built boats have a HIN plate?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Yes... I am not sure about the other 50 states but trust that each one
marks that boat somehow so they can collect taxes on it

You mean that you cannot build yourself a boat anymore, without the
Gomment sticking their fingers in the pie?