Frogwatch[_2_] Frogwatch[_2_] is offline

Default Orion "Go-Scope"

On Jul 29, 8:01*am, Harry? wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 7/28/10 6:56 PM, Frogwatch wrote:
It is hard to beat a good pair of 10X50 or 7X50 binocs for casual
astronomy but I bought my daughter an Orion "Go-Scope" for use in
Wyoming. *It is a nice little scope optically with an erecting prism
so it can be used for terrestrial things. *However, the mount they
sell for it is useless. *The mount is obviously intended for use with
cameras and is in fact identical to a cheapo Chinese Wal Mart tripod I
have. *Any kid will be very frustrated trying to use this mount.
So, I intend to have my guys make a real mount for the "Go-Scope" that
will fasten to the cheapo tripod but will be very stiff. *As it will
be made using CNC, it will be cheap. *Not much more than Chinese cost
at far better quality. *If interested, let me know.

If the tripod is cheap and crappy, it will still be wobbly with a better
mount.

I popped for a really good tripod a year or two ago. It makes a big
difference.

As you can see by the owl pics I took in my back yard. Oh, wait, never
mind.

Improving the mount removed 90% of the wobble. The cheapo tripod is
not a major issue.