posted to rec.boats.building
DougC DougC is offline

Default Silly questions - aluminum plank construction?

On 7/25/2010 4:18 AM, Steve Lusardi wrote:
Doug,
Aluminum is not maintenance free. In fact, it is exactly the opposite.
Aluminum is extraordinarily reactive in water, both chemically and
electrically.

Ummm, what is this maintenance you speak of?
I've looked at three different (unpainted) aluminum canoe manufacturing
websites, and all three said aluminum boat storage requirements are
minimal--they can be stored uncovered & upside down outside, as they are
/unaffected/ by weathering. The only necessary maintenance mentioned was
to rinse the boat off after salt-water use.... but as I said, I'm about
500 miles from the nearest ocean.

Adding a chassis-grounded electrical system or using them in salt water
might change the maintenance concerns, but I won't be doing either of
those things.

If you really want a viable challenge in metal boat
building, consider an alloy of copper based stainless steel. There are
several alloys to choose from. The advantages are that no painting is
required ever, not even in salt water and nothing grows on them.

None of the aluminum canoes I've ever seen were painted either. Or I
suppose--I just assumed that the painted ones weren't aluminum.... but
through the years, I know I've seen a LOT of canoes that were left
unpainted.

Anyway--I don't have the plasma cutter to cut stainless metal, and
stainless sheet + rod would probably cost several times what typical
sheet aluminum would.

~