posted to rec.boats.building
Richard van den Berg Richard van den Berg is offline

Default Silly questions - aluminum plank construction?

On do, 22 jul 2010 18:10:01 DougC
) wrote:
Recently I have gotten the urge to build a small rowing boat. The size
would be 15 feet or less, as I want it car-toppable.

I like the looks of the wineglass-transom rowing boats, but so far
haven't seen anything that quite matches what I think I'd want.

This web page shows one example of something that is /somewhat/ similar
to what I'd like:
http://www.clcboats.com/boatbuilding_classes/59.html
-although what I want differs greatly from this.

I may eventually hang a very small engine on it, but only 2 or 3 hp or so.

---------

One question I have is if the individual strips/planks usually change in
width from one end to the other. On most boats it appears they do not,
but on a few (such as the one linked above) it looks like they do.

Another matter I've noticed is that boats using this "strip"
construction are always wood. I would think that I would rather use
welded aluminum for easier maintenance, but I cannot find any commercial
or amateur boat manufacturer using this method for these plank-style
boats. The aluminum boats all look like the plywood boats -- using large
fairly-flat pieces with simple curves.
Is there some reason that strips of aluminum cannot be joined this way?
-Aside from requiring welding a lot of thin pieces of aluminum, that is.

What gives a lot of stress in the material, that's why light weighted
aluminum boats are revited.

In Holland i see Quicksilvers like these:
http://www.outboardservicepurmerend....icksilver.html
but Google gives GRP boats

Lastly if there's an online site that shows photos of the different
types of boats, it'd be real nice. What other sites seem to call a skiff
or a dory, this page calls a yawl.
~

In dutch there is http://www.vaartips.nl/ ;-) with a lot of photo's.
We have sloep, vlet and jol.

--
Richard
e-mail: vervang/replace invalid door/with NL.net