Larry[_25_] Larry[_25_] is offline

Default ah, yes, the latest on my company 401K

D.Duck wrote:

"bpuharic" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 03:08:07 -0400, "D.Duck" wrote:

"bpuharic" wrote in message

snip

not a single 401K manager has beat the market in the last 3 years.

snip

First of all, YOU and all participants are the managers of of 401K
plans
within what is offered by your company.

irreleevant. show me a 401K funds manager that's beating the market
with a positive rate of return over the last 2 years...

Go to the link below and plug in "Up more than 0%" for the 3 year
return
option of the screener. The other entries remain in the default
setting.

http://screen.yahoo.com/funds.html

and here is where you're confused. 401K's are managed by fund
managers...the funds they manage CAN do pretty well on an individual
basis. yet, unless you're a full time manager yourself, you have NO
idea which ones these are going to be.

I'm not confused. When I was working the 401K I had options to invest
in. There was a group of mutual funds, some government obligations and
a GUARANTEED interest option. If you, THE MANAGER, selected the
guaranteed interest option you would not have lost a penny in the last
three years. Or "I" could select a single mutual fund for my money.

If you work for a company that makes these choices for you, maybe it's
time for a new job with more liberal selection policies.

YOU are the MANAGER within the selections offered by your employer.

Well said. The key is to choose your investments based on your risk
level and projected retirement date.

Certain income funds are just as productive as money market funds. The
NAV will vary - even drop for a while, but you are adding shares through
reinvested dividends.