Charles C. Charles C. is offline

Default ah, yes, the latest on my company 401K

"bpuharic" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 01:18:48 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 23:03:13 -0400, bpuharic wrote:

uh huh. if that's the case what happened to the 14 trillion wall
street lost in equity over the last 3 years?

A good percentage of it never existed in the first place. It was just
paper that was traded like it had some kind of value (Derivatives and
such).

absolutely agree...courtesy of the right wing groupthink that said
'turn the economy over to the free market and stop giving increases to
the middle class'.

I am curious. How much of the 14 trillion lost on Wall Street represents
real money loses and not paper loses. I have very modest investments in the
stock market that I started in 1999.
Not a 401k. Just small investments that I manage myself. Don't spend
much time watching them. Not a day trader type.

The paper value of those investments right now is about four to five times
the initial investment, despite the meltdown of 2008. I suppose I could
complain that without the meltdown the stock values would be much higher,
but I don't regard that as loses. Loses would mean the value of the
investments today are less than the original deposit into the account.

CC