Rosalie B.

Default Canadian buying an American Boat

x-no-archive:yes

Peter Bennett wrote:

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 03:44:16 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

snip
What means this "Documentation" as opposed to "Registration" ?

Can somebody please explain what these things are?

There are essentially two ways vessel ownership in the U.S. is done,
and I think it is similar in Canada:

Through State Registration including a title. State laws obviously
vary from state to state, but usually the state issues a number to a
boat which is displayed on the bow.

There is a small source of confusion here...

In Canada, "registration" is the more formal process, required of
larger vessels (over 20 register tons for pleasure boats, I think),
and is similar to the US "documentation".

The Canadian process that is vaguely similar to US state registration
is called "licensing" (but it is still a federal matter).

In Canada, we don't have any provincial paperwork or taxes regarding
boats (except sales tax on the initial purchase).

That's good to know. I didn't realize that.

Incidentally, I'm hiding this at the bottom of this thread, but in
the 8 hours last night I got 75 spam emails and that was a light
night. so for the first time in a long time, I've munged my reply to
address, so if you want to email me directly, you'll have to get my
actual address from a post sometime in 2003 or prior, and then wait
for me to OK the address.

You don't need to put in a request for me to do it - I go to the ISP
web site at least 3 times a day to check for real emails. But DO put
some subject in the subject line that will give me a clue that you are
a real person.

grandma Rosalie