Peter Bennett

Default Canadian buying an American Boat

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 03:44:16 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

x-no-archive:yes

Ante Topic Mimara ] wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:

Ed McDermott wrote:

I'm a Canadian planning to buy an American boat, but I'm
NOT planning to bring it back into Canada.

Where can I register it?

Why register it? Why not just document it in Canada?
Do you have to take it to Canada to do that?

If you are going to take it down to the Caribbean or something,
wouldn't documentation be better than registration anyway?

What means this "Documentation" as opposed to "Registration" ?

Can somebody please explain what these things are?

There are essentially two ways vessel ownership in the U.S. is done,
and I think it is similar in Canada:

Through State Registration including a title. State laws obviously
vary from state to state, but usually the state issues a number to a
boat which is displayed on the bow.

There is a small source of confusion here...

In Canada, "registration" is the more formal process, required of
larger vessels (over 20 register tons for pleasure boats, I think),
and is similar to the US "documentation".

The Canadian process that is vaguely similar to US state registration
is called "licensing" (but it is still a federal matter).

In Canada, we don't have any provincial paperwork or taxes regarding
boats (except sales tax on the initial purchase).

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb (at) interchange.ubc.ca