posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bruce in Bangkok[_16_] Bruce in Bangkok[_16_] is offline

Default Ping Larry

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 04:24:05 +0000, Larry wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

Did you ever know a fellow named "Jim Wright" while in Iran? He worked
on the radar site project and must have been somewhere on the power
production side of the project, Certainly not on the electronic? Drank
a lot, and fairly continuously all day. It would have been, say 1975 -
1977, about that period.

He worked for us in Indonesia, off and on, but we finally had to let
him go as his drinking reached the point that he couldn't function
after lunch.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Sorry. The time is wrong. I was there at the end, 77-79. I don't
remember hearing that name. I made my own power for the lab. We had
air-cooled Deutz diesels driving big overkill generators for stable

Both Jim and I had finished a contract and were in Bangkok. I had a
firm offer, "just as soon as we sigh the contract" and Jim was
looking. He signed on with the outfit that was building the mountain
top radar? radio? stations. Being a good guy he had taken my resume
along and dropped copies all over town.

Well, they signed the contract and off I went to Irian Jaya and when I
came back on my first break I found several telegrams wanting me to
leave right away to work for the Helicopter people in Teheran. The
telegrams were sort of graduated - the first one was an invitation to
come on over, the next offered more money and said let them know and
they's send a ticket and the last one said that if I didn't want to
come at least have the decency to let them know. Which I did. Wrote a
nice letter telling them that as I hadn't heard from them I had
accepted a job in Indonesia and maybe we could do something later. Of
course, there was no later for those guys :-(

So, I went back to Indonesia and never went to Persia...