Paul

Default Sailing the Hunter 336 long distance

I own a Hunter 336. They are fine as coastal cruisers, but aren't
really designed for offshore use.

That doesn't mean you can't take one offshore, people are sailing
around out there right now in leaky 24-footers. But I wouldn't take
mine any further than the occasional trek out into Block Island Sound.

That stuff about the thickness of the hull and the placement of the
stringers doesn't mean much to me. The cheapest fiberglass boat has
enough hull strength, fiberglass is tremendously strong compared to
its predecessor, wood.

But, this Hunter doesn't have a through-bolted hull and deck joint. It
isn't made to heel in a blow, there's too much freeboard. I don't
think that the deck fittings are adequately backed to stake your life
on them.

There are boats that cost the same, a little older probably, that
maybe aren't as cushy in port, that would do much better in a seaway.

And, the boat doesn't need a backstay. It's fairly easy to prove that
tripod rigs are *stronger* than conventional rigs because of reduced
catenary forces. However, I think that no-backstay rigs are a pain in
the ass and I'd never have one again.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Paul