John Smith

Default Boat awning poles

I studied various shade options for the lower deck on my flighbridge
cruiser. I came up with a $50 wind up umbrella from BigW (Australia) it
sits in the rod holders on my inboard motor cover in the centre of the rear
deck area. I use some ockey straps (elastic ties with hooks each end) to
keep in position during windy days. It works very well and it is easily put
down to fish or move on home. The one I got is anodised steel which has
lasted 1 1/2 seasons so far with no signs of corrosion (salt water
environment)

Bloody wonderful (and cheap)

"1" wrote in message
Looking to make an awning. Lots of cruisers use pvc water pipe - it
ages in the sun and breaks - but it's cheap.

Friends have an awning that uses the bendy fiberglass tent pole
supports - like glass fishing rod stuff. They disconnect with ferrules
so are easy to stow - but all the ones they've seen have plated steel
ferrules - they rust and stain the awning.

Any better ideas?