DaveH

Default Marine GPS

For chart-plotters, I really like the Garmin stuff. I have a 2006C, and
have had the opportunity to use a high end CMAP system. The Garmin lets you
zoom in as far as you want, and marks anything where you go past the
available maps as "overzoom". CMAP systems give you crosshatch in a similar
situation. At times, this feature makes the real-world usability of the
Garmin Bluechart system much greater, IMO.

I also have a Garmin GPS-76. It is a very rugged and accurate unit. It
gets a position lock very quickly, and has survived numerous dunkings in
sal****er with no apparent ill effect. Just make sure you spray a little
rust preventative in the battery compartment after dunking. That is the
only part of this model that is not waterproof.

Dave

"Dionysus Feldman" wrote in message
If you were going to get a new GPS system this winter, which one would
it be? Is it worth getting a marine version? Is color worth the
drastic extra cost?