Bruce in Bangkok[_16_] Bruce in Bangkok[_16_] is offline

Default Novice Sailboat Question: Help w/ Broken Boom

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 01:53:44 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 07:16:29 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

I thought Perfect Storm was one of the worst movies I've seen. I read
the book first so maybe that ruined it but watching the model boat
climbing the mammoth wave was sort of ridicules.

I agree that the book was better but liked most of the movie as well.

Are the Hornblower movies good? I've enjoyed the books and wondered
about the movies.

My wife and I like them, very well made in my opinion.

I'd have to agree.
We've watched them all several times.
(think of it as summer re-runs, but with an actual story line
and a lot of historical class).

Then, there is "Captain Hornblower", with Gregory Peck.
Straight from the book, if I recall correctly.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to plug a couple of
book writers.

Patrick O'Brien (of course) who wrote Master and Commander
and 20 other volumes to go with it.
You'll find dozens of characters fully developed, and interesting
history and story too boot. Probably the best historical fiction
ever written (IMHO too).

I've read nearly all of the Patrick O'Brian books and liked them
however the all time best "historical Fiction" I've read are the
Flashman stories. Disregarding Flashman's nefarious character they are
actually very accurate histories of many of the late 18th and early
19th century British wars.

The movie "Master and Commander" is a completely different story
but taken from snippets of the entire series.

And an American, Dewey Lambdin, who is still cranking out his works.
http://www.leserglede.com/engelsk-hi...y-lambdin.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewey_Lambdin

A little more "adult" in his stories, but the same kind of character
development and story lines. Just plain great literature.

It took over twenty years for O'Brien to catch on in America.
I think that was because the "buyers" couldn't figure out what
shelf he belonged on.
Lambdin is in the same predicament.

Cheers,

Bruce