Larry Weiss

Default New Crownline 270CR vs Regal 2765 Express Cruisers

Harlan Lachman wrote:

Three thoughts:

We like to trailer our boat not only for winter storage but to take one
major trip each year. Trailering our boat from Lake Champlain saves a
week or more of cruising we have already done to get to desired
cruising grounds. So even infrequent trailering makes sense to me and
is worth all the reasonable cautions listed.

Like I said, trailerablility is based on perspective.

Interestingly enough, the last time we were up, we seriously considered hiring a
hauler to trailer our 35 footer up to Lake Champlain from Long Island (been
there and done that with the Hudson and the Canal). However, hauling proved
more costly and risky than the fuel and time expense of cruising up. As it
turned out, cruising the Hudson and the Canal yet again was just fine - its
really a wonderful trip.

Second, our trailer is not wider than our current boat. I saw a 2665 on
a trailer and that boat was as wide or wider than the trailer too.
Hence, I don't think you need the wide load permit.

This is just my opinion, but I believe if the boat's beam is wider than the
trailer, you are taking a greater risk of having the whole rig roll over. If
your beam is wider than the trailer, I'd go real slow around turns and curves,
and leave lots of room for emergency maneuvers.

Finally, we are thinking of upgrading from our 25 sport boat with cuddy
to a trailerable express cruiser. Are the ones Dallas noted the only
large ones on the market. (BTW, I did not like the floor layout on the
Regal's 2765 with the inserts -- two levels -- that seem designed to
break or sprain ankles and I too have had issues with the Company's
service).

There's a lot available in that size range. Hit the boat shows, or pick up a
boating magazine or start surfing the Net.. Just a few to check out: Sea Ray,
Rinker, Maxum, Four Winns, Bayliner, Chaparral - the list goes on. Since you
are around Lake Champlain, you may want to check out Doral, since their cruiser
division is headquartered in Quebec. Here are some sites to start looking:
http://www.searay.com
http://www.rinkerboats.com
http://www.maxumboats.com/
http://www.fourwinns.com/
http://www.doralboat.com
http://www.chaparralboats.com/

Note, I am not making any recommendations, just illustrating what's out there.

Hope this helps

Larry Weiss
"...Ever After!"
"a little after..."