Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Anchor Chain Report

Richard Casady wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 06:56:35 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:

But am I missing something? I always thought a shot was 90 feet.

It has ****all to do with boating, but there is a unit of measure
known as a chain. Composed of one hundred links, it is 66 feet long,
or four rods, or one tenth of a furlong. Used for land surveying by
guys like George Washington. More than a century after adoption of the
steel tape, guys were calling them chains. Some guys still refer to
the process of measurement as chaining, even when done electronically.

Casady

Spoken like a true land lubber. I stand by my original statement: A
shot is 90 feet. (This was in reply to DSK who said he got a "shot"
that was actually 40 feet.)

And what's with mining 7 year old posts? Its not going to bring back
the good old days!