posted to rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa,uk.rec.sailing
Andy Champ[_2_] Andy Champ[_2_] is offline

Default Sailing in odd directions (was Re Wilbur)

TC wrote:

I suspect the answer lies in the relative viscosity of the media.

It's the speed difference that matters. You can extract power from the
movement between the water and the air, and the fact that you yourself
are moving is largely irrelevant.

The one that made me think was the car that went downwind at over
windspeed. Accelerating it while the wind over the vehicle is zero
takes some thought!

Andy