mmc mmc is offline

Default DISMASTED - told you so . . .

wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 19:13:23 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

The idea that if a person gets in trouble, no
probs, I've got a lifeboat and epirb and someone will come bail my
stupid
ass out of this crack doesn't always pan out.

Agreed.

The kids parents put her in this predicament with poor planning and
unsuitable equipment.

That's what I've been telling you all along!

Glad we agree on something!
I like old, heavy and relatively slow boats. My favorite was a 1963 Chris
Craft Caribbean, 35' and 16k lbs. Rock solid and bulletproof.

Well, that certainly qualifies as old, heavy, and slow!

I'm not so sure I'd pick that combination for a circumnavigation. That
boat was purpose built to be used in charter in the Carribean, where
people tend to sail a little from point to point and then anchor in
mostly benign conditions. I'd pick a CSY 44 out of that type of boats.

Built to last! I'd never heard or read that about the CC, seems the duty you
describe would better fit one of your lightweights.
The CC was a great sailing boat. Lacked storage and had I kept her I would
have added a hard top and soft side enclosure which would have helped with
the accomodation. A PO had swapped out the Grey Marine gasoline engine for a
4-108 and later had to replace the fuel tanks as the originals were
galvanized.
After burning the ^%^$ out of my elbow on the old hot stack exhaust, I
replaced it with a water lift. Man, what a great difference that made! The
engine comparment was a LOT cooler which helped with the cockpit and the DB
level probably dropped by 75%.