Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Ham email and blogs (was) On water in the Bahamas

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 22:20:12 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

If I try, I can usually get a Winlink connect at 1400 bytes/sec which
is a fairly good rate, even for longer messages. We download a 25K
GRIB file every day, usually with no problems. Winlink is very good
about piecing together broken messages. If the GRIB transmission
deteriorates to below 600 BPS, I disconnect and try another PMBO
gateway station. Winlink automatically picks up where it left off and
completes the transmission. It's a great service and a good example
of how ham radio can still be useful in the 21st century.

Interesting, indeed. Is there a setting for that, or is that perhaps just
downloads?

It's always uploads which are troublesome for me (don't download all that
much) and EVERY time I make nearly all the way through - including ALL the
way through other than the handshake/confirmation at the end - and I lose
the connection, it starts over from the beginning on my next successful
connection....

The speed settings are adaptive based on signal strength and error
rates. Use only Pactor 3 mode (P3) if at all possible. I rarely do
large uploads so I'm not sure if they will pick up again from where
they left off. Downloads most definitely do that however. Try
November Zero India Alpha in Deltona on 80 meters in Pactor 3 mode.
He's slow to connect but very solid.