Rosalie B.

Default opinions sought for full-time cruiser Tools and Spares selection

x-no-archive:yes "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

Well, the reality approaches, and while I have a pretty well equipped
landside tools and spares selection ("Dad's hardware store"), I'm curious
what those who have done it would suggest.

This is what was written on the subject on the CSY list about 3 years
ago. This guy also had a 4-154 before he repowered.

The tools are
separated by type and usage. The commonly used tools are stored in a ready
service canvas tool bag fitted with pouches and pockets, this takes care of
the vast majority of the day to day projects. We also have 5 large plastic
tool boxes, arranged by usage: wood working, electrical, mechanical, power
tools, and plumbing/refrigeration. For instance, the canvas bag has a 3/8
and 1/4 inch drive socket sets, while the mechanical box has the 1/2 inch
drive set and gear puller. The canvas bag will have 1/4 and 3/4 inch wood
chisels, while the lesser used tools like planes and C clamps are in the wood
working plastic box. The canvas bag will have a few solderless crimp
connectors, electrical tape and sidecutters, while the soldering irons and
the Fluke multimeter are in the electrical plastic box. Many power tools
come with their own individual plastic cases that take up a lot of space. We
stow the power tools in a single large plastic crate. All the various
attachments, cutting heads, and blades are stored in the power tool plastic
box. Periodically I have to sort out the canvas tool bag as tools seem to
have a way of migrating to it, and the bag gets heavier and heavier. We also
have a large canvas ice bag with emergency damage control items (hack saw, 2
pound hammer, rigging wire cutters, wood plugs, hose clamps, rags, and lots
of other stuff) to rapidly respond to a serious situation.

grandma Rosalie