Auspicious Auspicious is offline

Default On water in the Bahamas

On Jun 5, 7:31 am, "Flying Pig" wrote:
That's about half the time, in my experience. That's even with aborting an
upload very early on if it's slow, looking for a better connection somewhere
else. Frequently that works; propagation makes it such that I might do much
better 1500 miles away than someplace much closer.

Bummer. Do you have and use the propagation tool for Airmail? My
experience seems better than yours. Like you I do sometimes get a slow
connection that I terminate rather than wait. Once I get a solid
connect though all my mail goes through. It generally only takes
checking the top few stations on the prop list. Maybe you have more
mail than I do.

Where are you these days?

I just got back from a mini-cruise to Narragansett RI and down LIS. I
sailed to my college homecoming and anchored off the beach! Way cool.
Now I'm back in Annapolis. Janet (who I don't think you met when we
caught up in MHH) and I are heading out again in a couple of weeks -
still talking about where to go.

On Jun 6, 2:48*am, Bob wrote:
Hand held depth finder? I had no idea such a thing existed, but I can
see its use for exploring an anchorage by dink.

A hand held depth finder:

Its called a lead line skip. get one on board and use it once a month
as part of your monthy safety checks.

I have a lead line that I use for entertainment once in a while, and
an electronic hand held depth finder. Guess which is more useful
surveying around the boat when aground?

By the way, if you haven't run aground you haven't been sailing
anywhere interesting.

ALso, regarding your SSb email...... trash that stone age crap. It
has one foot in a grave half filled with vacume tubes. Get Irridum.

1. vacuum

2. Iridium

3. I have personal experience with Inmarsat mini-M, Iridium,
Globalstar, and SSB with Pactor. If someone else is paying the bills
or I win the lottery I'd go with Inmarsat in a second, although the
dish would be intrusive on my boat. Absent that SSB beats the pants
off Iridium for reliability and easily meets it for speed. Often
throughput is a bit faster over SSB and time spent hunched over the
nav station is definitely shorter for SSB. The only advantage of sat
phones is the ability to dial a phone number of anyone anywhere and
make a connection. Not important to me but might be to some people.

For e-mail, wefax, Navtex, position reporting, and staying in touch
(generally by e-mail) SSB with Pactor is ahead of sat phones on both
performance and value for money. My conclusion is from BOTH running
the numbers and first-hand experience with all the options.

Personally, less complicated is better that is unless you are
the second typ of person who supports use of ssb tx

Are you kidding? HF is much simpler than sat phones.

As much time as you sit on the hook you could get GBAN and surf the
internet for god sakes.

I presume you mean BGAN. Yes? Nice portable solution from Inmarsat but
there are less expensive ones with similar bandwidth.

73 es sail fast, dave KO4MI
S/V Auspicious