John

Default Boat Choices... teak decks

"Leanne" wrote in message ...
"DSK" wrote in message
.. .

In short, I own a boat with a teak deck... they're beautiful

but they
are not practical in any way... the maintenance is awful, the

surface is
unreliable, and if it's screwed down over cored fiberglass it's

lurking rot instigator. Our teak deck is coming off in the near

future,
to be replaced by either plain fiberglass with painted

non-skid, or
perhaps those industrial textured non-skid materials.

A friend of mine has a Choy Lee that had the deck problem and
he removed the teak and replaced it with Treadmaster. I have it
on
my boat, which I love, but it is awful on bare feet.

Leanne
s/v Fundy

I happen to think their is nothing better than a teak deck. You get
better traction and their easier on your feet because they have more
"give" than a fiberglass deck (we're talking about a "proper"
installation here, no fiberglass deck underneath). But the best part
about them is the cockpit is much cooler than fiberglass, which is
very reflective. Just wet the teak down and it doesn't reflect the
sunlight like fiberglass, and the water evaporating from the teak
helps keep it cool as well. Also, they don't damage like a fiberglass
deck when you drop something heavy on it (put a wet rag over the
dented teak and a hot clothes iron on top of the rag, keep wetting the
rag, you will be surprised how many dents you can get to come out like
this). I admitt it takes a lot of work to keep it looking good, but do
a side by side comparison, the teak just looks so much better.

As far as having a teak deck over a cored deck, who ever did the job
should be hung by his thumbs. That's just a serious problem waiting to
happen.