Rosalie B.

Default Boat Choices... teak decks

x-no-archive:yes

"Leanne" wrote:

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..

In short, I own a boat with a teak deck... they're beautiful

but they
are not practical in any way... the maintenance is awful, the

surface is
unreliable, and if it's screwed down over cored fiberglass it's

lurking rot instigator. Our teak deck is coming off in the near

future,
to be replaced by either plain fiberglass with painted

non-skid, or
perhaps those industrial textured non-skid materials.

A friend of mine has a Choy Lee that had the deck problem and
he removed the teak and replaced it with Treadmaster. I have it
on
my boat, which I love, but it is awful on bare feet.

I love to go barefoot, and I do not find that Treadmaster is terrible
on bare feet. Just very non-slippery. But of course I can walk on
gravel barefoot (although I have to be cautious), and I've learned how
to walk across a parking lot on a hot day by staying on the white
paint lines that mark out the parking spaces. I do draw the line at
things like glass, rose bush cuttings and American Chestnut hulls
(which have tiny spines)

OTOH, my husband doesn't go barefoot at all and has very tender feet.
He's pretty AR about not letting anyone on deck with bare feet when
underway. And I have proved to myself that the non-Treadmaster parts
of the deck are slipperier with bare feet than with shoes.

grandma Rosalie