Barnett22 Barnett22 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by den View Post
There is also wax in the gel coat, which has to be removed by
grinding, as previously mentioned, or chemically washing because of
non adherence. In your case not to worry, as I doubt if there is any
wax left. your call.
Den
48ft YF EAGLE

On May 30, 9:23*am, Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 30 May 2010 01:52:13 +0100, Barnett22
Go tohttp://westsystem.com/ss/boat-repair/
By the way, gel coat is essentially polyester resin with a coloring
agent which is used to make a smooth finish on the outside of the
fiberglass structural layer. So, since it is just a surface finish it
should be ground completely off in the areas that you are bonding
additional glass.

:high build primer" as it will be a much better base coat.

Oh yea, if I need to go down to raw fiberglass on the hull, I'll do the text book repair adding 5-6 layers of biaxial and then sand and put another couple layers on the whole hull. Hopefully that will hold it. There will be a ton of blocking.........think Imron (single stage) will hold on the bottom or will I need to go with a Gel-Coat? Same properties, I believe. Thanks again