Cindy Ballreich

Default Looked today ( Boat Choices)

wrote:

Looks nice, but I don't have the crew of "Master and Commander" to
keep it dry and clean.

There are two basic problems with teak decks. The first has to do
with boat builders who add teak decks as an afterthought to make
boats look "salty", and the second is owners who don't care for
them correctly. Of course the worst is a combination of the two.

A teak deck of proper thickness, properly installed with the
right screws, of the right length, spaced correctly, over a
properly built subdeck should easily last for 20 years or more
with few or no problems. Did some builders do it this way? Of
course. Did other builders skimp? Unfortunately, far too often.
How do you tell? Go to the owners groups and see how often people
are replacing their decks. Not to be a killjoy, but Cheoy Lee
would be one I would look at very carefully.

The other side of the issue is maintenance. We looked at a 30
year old boat where it seemed the only thing the owner properly
maintained was the teak deck. We looked at other boats where it
appeared that the owners had been keeping them clean with brillo
pads! They were totally ruined. Teak decks can die from too much
attention as quickly as from too little. Keep your caulk in good
shape, keep your bungs tight, mop it gently with clean salt water
and you should be happy. Use a deck brush or a belt sander or
harsh chemicals and you'll kill it quick.

Yes, they can be hot. This can be made worse by sanding or teak
treatments that take away the silver color. Wetting them down
with salt water will keep them cool and also keep mildew away.

(Actually, what's hot is the stupid black-anodized headsail
track! Ouch!)

Yes, they are heavy. The boat should be designed for them.

Decks are not supposed to leak - regardless of the type. Choosing
a boat with a teak deck is more daunting than a cored fiberglass
deck. However, proper research and a really knowledgeable survey
can make it a lot simpler. Also, you should know that leakage and
rot problems are *not* exclusive to teak decks.

Once you've weighed the cost, it comes down to what you prefer.
If you like the look and feel of teak decks, and you don't mind a
little additional work, go for it! If you don't like that sort of
thing, there's a world of fiberglass decks just waiting for you.

Cindy

--
the return email is a spam trap
send legit emails to cindy_at_ballreich_dot_net