Default Looked today ( Boat Choices)

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 21:35:11 GMT, Rich Hampel
wrote:

The underlayment of teak decks on Tayanas is built up of softwood
squares individually isolated by dams of polyester. If such
underlayment does get wet it usually doesnt not spread accross the
whole deck as would be the case with ''sheets' of core filler.
Not that you cant get a soggy deck on a Tayana; but, if you do the
damage wont be as catastrophic as would a deck with continuous
underlayment filler. Teak deck maintenance isnt all that bad if you
kkep up a gentle and consistent regime of maintenance. Hell, I bet you
expend more time scrubbing a glass deck than a teak deck owner does in
periodically looking for loose bungs.

Give me a teak deck anytime. So what if it makes the boat a bit more
top heavy, **nothing** is this world has the non-dkid ability of bare
teak.

The opposing view, and no doubt a boat I would love to visit because
it looks so nice. This gentleman knows the problems with teak, knows
how to deal with them, knows the best case scenario, and considers the
net benefit worth it.

I do not, although I've seen nice teak over metal decks that would put
me off less than teak over cored decks.

To each sailor his or her own. The less wood on the outside, the
happier I am, but that's me and is totally from the upkeep point of
view.

R.