posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
YukonBound YukonBound is offline

Default Shopping for a non-boating GPS...

"hk" wrote in message
m...
Got a buddy who is graduating from college at the age of 41, and got there
by going part time after work for many years. He's going to celebrate by
taking a nice, long driving vacation across the USA, and I'd like to get
him a special gift, a GPS he can use in his car and also outside the car
for hiking trails and walking city streets...

I think something with a nice 4" to 5" screen would do, rather than one of
the tiny screen pocket models. Problem is, I know nothing about these
land-based GPS devices.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

I've been looking at the new family of Garmin Nuvi 1390T through 1490T GPS
units on sale from COSTCO.
I did read a couple of iffy reviews about the units going off & losing info.
guess I'll wait another month or so.
The advantage of these new slim, light models is that some also have inner
city info on walking and public transportation schedules.
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....=11&lang=en-CA
Think I'll wait a bit longer to find out if they rate ok in the long run.