posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Another Big Mahi Mahi Caught While Cruising

On Wed, 19 May 2010 08:18:09 -0700 (PDT), Joe
wrote:

On May 18, 7:30*am, Wayne.B wrote:
We caught this one on Sunday about 20 miles off the west coast of
Puerto Rico. * It was not quite as big as the one in January but still
very good sized and great eating. * Length was 54 inches, weight about
35 pounds. *It took almost 30 minutes to get him in the boat, a very
tough, feisty fish.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/4...iwestofpue.jpg

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4...iwestofpue.jpg

Nice Catch Wayne.

Thanks. We had some for dinner tonight, really delicious.

Any Tuna yet?

Unfortunately not, at least not in the boat, or where we could
identify them. We had a couple of big hits several months ago, one
that spooled me totally out before I could get it under control, and
another that broke off a 100 lb leader like it was a rubber band. Who
knows what they were but obviously big stuff. We were docked in St
Kitts a couple of weeks ago when a local boat brought in an 8 ft Tiger
shark, and there are definitely some big tuna and marlin out there. We
are really not rigged out to handle the big ones however, and it
would just be luck coupled with a quandry if we got one to the boat.

Quandry, as in what the heck do we do with this thing now. :-)

Joe