Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default How many feet for a Nantucket voyage....

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 11:42:51 -0500, Sheldon Haynie
wrote:

Jay, you are talking about very heavily traveled water.. People have
rowed/paddle/windsurfed back and forth across Vineyard Sound.

More Important that boat size, is how well equipped and trained you are the
boat are.

You WILL need:

all USCG safety equipment
VHF radio with good antenna
VHF portable independent of boat electrical system
secondary fuel supply (spare 5 gals is sufficient ? )

The chop can be handled by adjusting speed or by staying in port when the
waves kick up.

On 2/1/04 3:10 PM, in article , "jay"
wrote:

I am interesting in checking out the lower half of the Ct River, and out
towards Nantucket/The Vineyard.. I have no plans to try this on the 18' I
have now, but what would anyone recommend for a good "sea worthy" size for a
boat to stand up to the chop?
Right now I'm looking at upgrading to a Sea Ray sun Deck (260 horse, 24 ft.,
50gal gas tank) thinking that that might be something that can be used
around the Islands/The Cape...

-j

Fog is frequent between the Vineyard and Nantucket. It is one of the
places I really am glad to have radar, although I have made the trip
quite a few times without it.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

"If Brecht had directed 'Waiting for Godot,' he would have hung a large sign at the back of the stage reading 'He's not going to come, you know. ' " -- Terry Eagleton